Des Moines Water Works to Close General Office Building to Walk-in Customer Service
Des Moines Water Works will close its General Office Building to walk-in customers effective November 18, 2020. The decision was made as a result of record numbers of new COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in Central Iowa.
Des Moines Water Works offers a variety of opportunities to complete bill payment and to meet customer service needs:
Customer Service/Payment Options
- Online Account: Log into your online account to pay by credit/debit card or electronic check.
- Phone: Call (515) 283-8700 to pay by credit/debit card or electronic check through the automated phone system, or a Customer Service Representative is available to assist you Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Payment Drop Box: Place the bill stub and payment in an envelope in the payment drop box located at 2201 George Flagg Parkway. Note on the envelope if the water is turned off at the property and provide a phone number.
- Mail: Mail the bill stub and payment to PO Box 9227, Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9227.
- Pay Stations: Customers may make monthly payments at most local HyVee stores. Pay stations may charge a fee for this service; however, these fees are not collected by Des Moines Water Works. Des Moines Water Works’ billing system is not directly linked to each pay station. Allow 10 days processing time for payments to be received by Des Moines Water Works. An account is not credited until payment reaches Des Moines Water Works. In order to avoid a pending service disconnection, make a payment using an online account, by phone or payment drop box. A listing of pay stations can be found here.
Des Moines Water Works understands this is a difficult time for many customers. We have worked to offer a customer-focused response that balances sensitivity to our customers’ situations with sustainable utility operations.
Any customer who receives a termination notice and is struggling to pay their bill can call Des Moines Water Works at (515) 283-8700. Customers with delinquent balances could have their service terminated unless they have called to make arrangements with a Customer Service Representative.
Des Moines Water Works representatives will work with customers to discuss available options such as payment arrangements or connecting customers with other resources.
Payment arrangements are a collection assistance program that Des Moines Water Works offers at all times to eligible customers. Customers must honor their commitment to pay or communicate with a customer service representative proactively when they are unable to do so in order to remain eligible for this assistance.
Available Community Resources:
- Iowa Residential Utility Disruption Prevention Program If a customer’s financial situation has changed as a result of COVID-19, the Iowa Economic Development Authority and Iowa Finance Authority have announced that the Iowa Residential Utility Disruption Prevention Program has been expanded to include water utility bills. Learn more and apply at: https://www.iowafinance.com/iowa-residential-utility-disruption-prevention-program. The application deadline is December 4, 2020. Please contact Iowa Finance Authority at (515) 348-8976 or (877) 463-3269.
- Impact Community Action Partnership (515) 518-4770
- Polk County General Assistance (515) 286-2088
- Aging Resources (515) 255-1310
- Veterans Affairs (800) 827-1000