Consumption Alert Request
Helpful Information on Consumption Alerts
Typical daily consumption for residential customers:
- While the threshold you set is entirely your choice and should be based on your circumstances, a good rule of thumb would be to double these daily averages when setting your alert. For example, a single person would enter a daily consumption threshold of 150 gallons or 20 cubic feet.
- It may be helpful to know a leaking toilet can waste up to 250 gallons per day.
- You must have a fixed radio frequency (RF) meter reading system (usually located on the outside of your home) to utilize the consumption alert service.
- Alerts are contingent upon Des Moines Water Works getting consistent daily meter readings from the RF meter reading system.
- Des Moines Water Works RF meter reading equipment calls in once each day, so there is a one day lag between the time the consumption occurs and when you receive the alert.
If you have more than one meter that you would like to be alerted, you will need to submit a request form for each meter.