Who is Water Distribution?
The Water Distribution Department has several areas of responsibility including:
- Repair and maintenance of buried piping, fire hydrants and valves
- Locating and marking buried utilities
- Locating water leaks using ultrasonic sounding equipment
- Maintaining computer records of all distribution piping
- Providing 24 hour emergency dispatch services
- Managing the backflow prevention program
The Water Distribution Team
The Water Distribution Team is a diverse group of more than 60 individuals with experience in many areas ranging from underground construction and field service to computerized leak detection. The department is divided into four teams.
- The Distribution Maintenance and Repair Team is the largest team. It includes crew leaders, equipment operators, pipe installers and laborers. This team is responsible for all water distribution system maintenance, including repairing water main breaks.
- The Leak Detection and Locating Team consists of experienced field technicians.
- The Support Team includes administrative and record keeping staff.
- The Dispatch Team consists of dispatchers who provide emergency coverage 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
What it’s Like to Work in Water Distribution at DMWW
The water distribution maintenance and leak/locate teams have people who are on-call 24 hours a day. Water main breaks or leaks can occur at any time of day or night and we must respond quickly to restore service to our customers. This work, critical to customers, is outdoor work in Iowa's extreme weather at any time of the day.
Are You Eager for a Career in Water Distribution at DMWW?
Typically, new members of the department begin their careers as pipelines or equipment operators, or support in other roles. Advancement opportunities are available for knowledgeable, experienced, hardworking team members. Pipe installers, crew leaders and field service technicians are often hired from within the department. Supervisory opportunities also exist within the department.
Des Moines Water Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer. DMWW does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. If you need any accommodations during the selection process because of a disability, please notify the Human Resources Department at (515)-283-8700 and we will provide appropriate accommodations.