Des Moines Water Works’ (DMWW) benefits program is designed to improve employees’ quality of life and provide security for the future. We strive to bring you quality benefits that meet the diverse needs of our workforce.
Note: This information highlights DMWW’s benefit programs and policies. We reserve the right to add, delete, change or revoke these benefits and policies at any time, with or without notice. These benefits and policies do not create a contract between DMWW and any employee, nor do they create any entitlement.
Health & Wellness Benefits
DMWW continues to team up with the City of Des Moines to offer a choice of three different health plans through Wellmark.
Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Choice of three different plans
- No specialist referral needed
- Prescription drugs – three-tier plan
- Annual eye exams
- Employer Health Savings Account contribution to qualified employee
The Summary of Benefits and Coverage is a standardized document detailing simple and consistent information about health plan benefits and coverage. It includes key features of the plan, such as covered benefits, copayment/coninsurance amounts and sample coverage examples.
For those over 65, the Summary of Benefits and Coverage for the two Supplemental Plans are listed below.
Administered through Delta Dental of Iowa
- Preventive and restorative coverage
- Coverage for lenses, frames, and contact lenses
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Employee Assistance Program providing confidential and professional counseling sessions for stress, work/life balance, and substance abuse. Wellness, legal, and financial consultation services also available for DMWW employees and dependents. Visit www.efr.org or Call 1.800.327.4692 24hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Flexible Spending Accounts
Pre-tax deduction for out-of-pocket medical expenses and/or dependent care expenses. Medical Expense Accounts: $2,600 maximum for 2017 and Dependent Care Accounts: $5,000 maximum for 2017.
HIP (Health Improvement Planning) Team
- Annual health screens
- Wellness reimbursement
- Education on health, stress management, financial wellness
- Cooking classes
- Walking opportunities in Water Works Park
Income Protection Benefits
Employees are credited with 24 hours after 3 months employment, then accrue 3.7 hours per pay thereafter. No accrual limit.
Coverage is an amount equal to the employees’ annual salary rounded to the next $500. Coverage also includes accidental death and dismemberment for the employee’s salary amount. Coverage is through Principal.
Coverage pays 60% of salary after 6 months of disability. Coverage is through Principal. Employee elects taxable or tax-free benefits
Supplemental Life Insurance
- Additional term-life insurance may be purchased for yourself, your spouse or your children through post-tax payroll deductions
Iowa Public Employee’s Retirement System (IPERS)
IPERS is a sustainable and affordable defined benefit pension retirement plan that provides members with secure income, supports self-sufficiency in retirement, and contributes to local economies.
IPERS benefits are designed to supplement personal savings and Social Secruity benefits in retirement.
Employees can defer pre-tax income into investment options for retirement. Maximum contribution will be $18,000 in 2017. A qualified individual who is age 50 or older may contribute up to $6,000 additional income in 2017. DMWW will match $1.00 to every $2.00 employee contribution up to a percentage of base pay and shift differential according to the following service schedule. The program is administered by Principal Financial Group.
Years of Service
Employee Contribution to Receive DMWW Max Contribution
DMWW Max Contribution
3 months to 5 years:
5 to 10 years:
10 to 15 years:
15 to 20 years:
20 or more years:
Work/Life Balance Benefits
Vacation: Employees are credited with 20 hours after 3 months employment, then accrue per pay as follows:
- 3 mos to 5 yrs: 3.08 hrs. (2 weeks/yr.) - maximum accrual 120 hours
- 5 yrs to 12 yrs: 4.62 hrs. (3 weeks/yr.) - maximum accrual 180 hours
- 12 yrs to 19 yrs: 6.16 hrs. (4 weeks/yr.) - maximum accrual 240 hours
- 19 yrs or more: 7.70 hrs. (5 weeks/yr.) - maximum accrual 300 hours
Employees are allowed to purchase additonal vacation time each benefit year
New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the day after, Christmas and the day before or after, and five floating holidays. The five floating holidays are credited on the second check each January. Floating holidays are pro-rated for new hires.
- One to five working days for each death in the family
Career Development Benefits
School & Training Expenses
- Pre-payment or reimbursement of tuition and training expenses for job-related coursework
Job Shadowing/Cross Training
- Opportunity for employees to observe another position in the utility that is of possible future career interest
Internal Job Opportunities
- Job openings posted allowing all employees the opportunity to apply
- Career counseling and interviewing skill training
- Annual career fair
- Service, Education, and Safety Awards
- Service, Education, and Safety Awards
- $69.92 added to each paycheck after 3 months of Full-Time Employment
529 College Savings Plan
- Payroll deduction for tax-advantaged 529 college savings program
Pay Periods and Pay Checks
- Each pay period is two weeks with employees being paid on the following Friday
- Direct deposit of paychecks into savings and/or checking accounts is available to employees
Free Notary Services
Jury Duty Leave
Des Moines Water Works is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and complies with the Iowa Smokefree Air Act.
DSMH20 - DMWW Blog
For the latest news in water quality, customer service and other water-related hot topics, visit DMWW's blog.